Posted by: mteverestair | December 13, 2011

On the Twelfth Day of Christmas, Mt. Everest Gave To Me… 12 Tips For Christmas Safety!

Ahh, Christmastime, the most magical time of the year! It’s a time for giving and sharing, a time to spend with friends and loved ones, basking in one another’s warmth and love by the fireplace, hot chocolate in hand. It’s the time of the year that snow teases the St. Louis region with bouts of accumulation here and there, and children (and the children inside us all) everywhere are secretly and perhaps even plaintively begging for a white Christmas.

Unfortunately, it is also the time of the year in which house fires are at their highest. According to the United States Fire Administration, the highest amount of fires occurs during the winter months. Luckily, you can still avoid any house fires at your home this Christmas season and beyond! So here is your very own Christmas present from us here at Mt. Everest – 12 safety tips for your merry Christmas!

1.) Don’t nail or staple lights onto your Christmas tree! By doing so, you could break the wires, and the consequences could be deadly. Use plastic clips instead. You can get special insulated staples, too – they’re safe to use on lights and wires. Also, be sure that the lights are in safe working condition and that your wires aren’t exposed.

2.) Be sure to read the safety guidelines on the lights very carefully before using them. It may seem silly to read guidelines for lights, but it’s better to be safe than sorry!

3.) When purchasing lights for the tree, go for the LED Christmas lights alternative. They’re friendly toward the environment and not too costly either! They’re also brighter compared to other lights and tend to last a long time.

4.) Try to decrease the amounts of extension cords you’re using. A high number of extension cords can be quite hazardous, and it can make your home prone to circuit overloads and power failures. Connect the lights as the safety instructions say! A good rule of thumb to bide by is to use no more than 3 standard sized sets of lights per single extension cord.

5.) When putting lights on your house, use common sense. Use a wooden ladder as opposed to a metal ladder, and wear shoes with rubber soles. Keep kids and pets away when you’re doing any electric work, and be sure you stay well clear from the main power line.

6.) This is a big one – only keep your Christmas tree lights on WHEN YOU’RE AWAKE and at HOME. Turn them off when you go out and also when you go to sleep, no matter how pretty they look in the window. A tree with faulty wiring or any other fire hazard nearby can catch fire quickly and do a lot of damage to your home. Check out this video for proof!

Christmas Lights7.) After Christmastime, take off the lights carefully and pack them properly for next year. This will ensure that they will be usable for next year.

8.) If you’re buying a fake tree, look for the label “Fire Resistant” or “Fire Retardant.” It doesn’t guarantee that it won’t catch fire, but the tree will resist burning and should extinguish quickly!

9.) Place your Christmas tree away from fireplaces and radiators. Heated rooms will dry live trees out quickly, too, so you will need to keep the stand filled with water.  Make sure your tree is also out of high traffic areas in the house and doesn’t get knocked down.

10.) NEVER, EVER decorate your Christmas tree with lit candles, no matter how cool it looks! Christmas trees, especially live ones, can be quite flammable. Be sure to keep open flames a fair distance away from your tree.

11.) Be sure to check each set of lights, new and old alike, for the following: broken or cracked sockets, frayed or bare wires, and loose connections. Throw out the damaged light sets. Remember, it’s much better to spend a little extra money to purchase new lights than to pay for damages for a house that has caught fire!

12.) If you’re putting up lights outside this year, avoid using the larger 7-volt light bulbs. Believe it or not, one of the most common causes of house fires during the holidays results from these bulbs being too close to gutters full of dried leaves or even by touching evergreens, shrubs, and other trees!

Want anymore tips from us? Got a heating problem? Don’t be shy! Call us here at 1-877-552-2326 or visit us at our website at www.mteverestair.com to learn more! Let Mt. Everest Air help you to have a happy, warm, and safe holiday this year!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Categories

%d bloggers like this: