Posted by: mteverestair | November 11, 2011

Daylight Savings Time Can Save Your Life!

Daylight Savings Time ended on Sunday, November 7 at 2 a.m., and that means it’s time to turn the clocks back one hour. It also means that we get an extra hour in our day and that days will get shorter and shorter until the winter solstice occurs in late December.

The one thing you DIDN’T know about the end of this year’s Daylight Savings Time is that it could very well save your life.

The United States Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) advises that you should change the batteries in your smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors at least once a year, if not twice a year. So why not take advantage of the biyearly time-changing ritual and do some checking up on your detectors and also all your fuel-burning home heating systems after you change all the clocks?

Winter is the most dangerous season for residential fires and also for carbon monoxide poisoning caused by heating systems. Home heating is also the second leading cause of all residential fires and a major cause of carbon monoxide poisoning, and these incidents increase during the winter months.

According to the CPSC, you should install smoke alarms on every level of your home outside all sleeping areas and also inside each bedroom. Carbon monoxide detectors should be installed on each level of your home and outside all the sleeping areas as well, but NOT in attics or basements, unless, of course, there are sleeping areas in those levels.

Remember, carbon monoxide is a deadly gas that is colorless and odorless. Humans cannot detect it through sight, smell or taste, so the detectors are a necessity to have in your home!

While it’s important to make sure that your smoke and carbon dioxide detectors have fresh batteries and are working well, it’s just as vital to have your heating appliances checked out before winter rears its ugly head. That means it’s time to call us here at Mt. Everest Air Heating & Cooling!

Fuel burning appliances can sometimes produce carbon monoxide gas as a by-product of the burning process, so it’s very important to make sure that your appliances are working correctly. Remember, carbon monoxide enters your bloodstream via the lungs when you breathe, and it takes away all the oxygen from your organs. If you start to feel dizzy, headaches, nauseous, faint, or weak, you are more than likely breathing in the deadly gas and should remove yourself from the home.

We’d be more than happy to give all of you fuel-burning home heating systems a check-up before Old Man Winter comes around the corner! Let us check your furnace, boiler, fireplace, wood stove, water heater, chimneys, flues, and vents to make sure they’re in tip-top shape to properly warm you and keep you safe in winter. Give us a call at 1-877-552-2326 or visit us online at www.mteverestair.com. We offer online live-chat services to help you assess your needs and are here waiting to help!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Categories

%d bloggers like this: